Faculty of Medicine members participate in a variety of humanitarian, developmental and educational projects throughout Asia. In addition, members are involved in international societies and act as scientific advisors.
- Departments, Schools and Centres Involved: Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Centre for Disease Control, Family Practice, Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy, Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, Pediatrics, Physical Therapy, School of Population and Public Health, Surgery
- Countries Involved: China, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Singapore, Tibet, Vietnam
- Participating Institutions Include: Agency for Science Technology and Research (A*Star, Singapore), Hanoi Medical University (Vietnam), Lumbini Eye Institute (Nepal), SEVA Canada, Tsinghua University (China)
- Examples of Projects:
- Dr. Babak Pourbohloul (Director, UBC Centre for Disease Control) has been the scientific advisor on various infectious diseases and related mathematical modeling projects for A*Star, Singapore.
- The Department of Opthalmology and Visual Sciences has been involved in eye/cataract surgery projects in Nepal and Tibet in conjunction with the Lumbini Eye Institute and SEVA Canada.