Established in 1969, the UBC Continuing Studies English Language Institute offers a range of programs for students and groups at the UBC campus in Vancouver. Classes are instructed by experienced ESL teachers with specialized training in teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- Intensive English Program
- Full-time, multi-level program in 16-week sessions
- Focuses on speaking/listening, reading and writing
- Completion of level 600 satisfies the UBC English Language Admission Standard
- Language and Culture
- Full-time or part-time program in three- or four-week sessions
- Develops conversation skills and knowledge of Canadian culture
- English for Business Communications
- Full-time program in three-week sessions
- Builds English skills in business contexts
- English and University Culture
- Full-time program in six-week sessions
- Builds English skills through exploration of North American university culture
UBC Conditional Admission
The UBC Continuing Studies English Language Institute offers an academic stream of the Intensive English Program for Conditional Admission students. These outstanding students do not yet meet the UBC English Language Admission Standard but are admitted to UBC undergraduate or graduate studies on the condition that they develop their academic English to the required standard through the Intensive English Program.